Sunday, February 12, 2012

Victorian Underwear in my Laundry Room - Part I


Underwear: The Fashion History by Alison Carter (New York: Drama, 1992)

Few things capture people's attention like a corset... even if it's empty.


I certainly wouldn't have captured anyone's attention with this bare wall, but what follows is a plan to make it a little more exciting.


I intend to draw a clothes line were victorian undergarments are pinned along it - my reference books and inspiration for this project.

Support and Seduction: A History of Corsets and Bras
by Beatrice Fontanel (New York: Abrams, 1997)

You may remember this photograph from a past Valentine's post. There's nothing like an actual photograph for accuracy.

Support and Seduction: A History of Corsets and Bras
by Beatrice Fontanel (New York: Abrams, 1997)

On my clothes line will hang a Victorian bra. The ad above shows what is probably the first sports bra. Described as perfect for the ladies who practice tennis and horseback riding, ideal to wear under light clothing and bathing suits.

Underwear: The Fashion History by Alison Carter (New York: Drama, 1992)

Also hanging, a frilly knickerbocker and chemisette.

Underwear: The Fashion History by Alison Carter (New York: Drama, 1992)

No room on the line for crinolettes and crinolines...

Underwear: The Fashion History by Alison Carter (New York: Drama, 1992)

...but black hosiery, certainly. Do click on the images to enlarge and read the descriptions - priceless.

Underwear: The Fashion History by Alison Carter (New York: Drama, 1992)

Sorry, but long-johns just did not make the cut.

Above is a rough sketch of my Victorian clothes line. I added white gloves even if they're not undies, but I bet they were always being laundered.

I cut out the pieces of garments.

I drew a scaled version of my laundry wall.

Used my cut-outs to move them around along the clothes line, to find the right positioning.

And drew the Victorian undergarments directly on to the sheet. This will be my reference guide for when I'm ready to paint them on the wall.


12 comments:

Ashley said...

You are so clever! This is going to be so unique.

Richard Cottrell said...

This is so clever. Kinda like a,Victoria's Secret, at your house. Darling ideal. Can't wait to see it done. Brovo!

Donna said...

I can't wait either!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Ashley, Richard, Donna,
If I'm not side tracked too often, I hope to be done by the end of the week or at least to have a progress post.
Thank you for dropping in,
Anyes
XX

Laura said...

You're so awesome! I just love this idea. I know it's going to be beautiful and oh, so unique!!!

Love it and can't wait to see the finished project. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Laura,
It's very 'girly girl' and so up your alley.
Always a pleasure,
Anyes
XX

Mrs. D said...

Dear Anyes,

You are so talented. Your projects inspire me and I am grateful you take the time to share them with us.

I smile seeing the preparation drawings you made. It is all about details, and you do it so well.

What a wonderful post. I'm looking forward to seeing the finish photos. Happy Valentine's Day Anyes.

your friend,
Mrs. D

The Dusty Victorian said...

So glad you enjoyed this post Linda, thank you.
Happy Valentine's Day to you as well,
Anyes
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Your project looks delightful! I know that I'd get very caught up in patterns of lace.

The Dusty Victorian said...

That's just it Mark, where to stop! It's a pattern lover's paradise. It could be a very lengthy project if I give in.
Anyes
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

I know I saw this post awhile back and thought I'd commented, but I guess I hadn't. This is such a cool project! I loved seeing all the steps you took to get to the finished work of art. I like to see how other artists work. It's always thrilling to see somebody's vision as they put it to paper, then tease it out into a final, finished piece! Everybody has their own unique processes, and I'm so glad you've shared yours— thank you! :-)

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Pam,
Always a pleasure to hear from you, thank you so much for dropping in and for your very kind words. Glad you enjoyed it.
Anyes
XX