Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Victorian Underwear in my Laundry Room - Part II


Satiric engraving from La vie parisienne, circa 1870.

These cast iron curtain brackets will be placed at the window of my laundry room. To keep a unity, I decided to use a portion of their design for each end of my laundry line.

I spray glued the paper design on a card stock and cut it out.

The template is rigid enough to trace for the left side...

...and flip over for the right side.

To trace the cord, I used chalk and simply wiped it clean if I had to correct myself.


I filled in the bracket with flat black paint and painted the cord line in between.



I was then ready to draw with chalk my Victorian undies along the cord line.

The base coats on all items have been applied. Frills, lace, motifs, etc... will be the next stage.

13 comments:

Laura said...

Oooo! It looks amazing so far!
Have I told you lately how friggin awesome I think that you are???

(Hugs)
Laura

Ashley said...

I cannot get over how talented you are! This is fantastic.

Mrs. Robinson said...

This is amazing! What a creative idea! I'm a new follower! :)

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Laura, Ashley
You're so sweet, thank you.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mrs. Robinson,
Welcome to the DV, looking forward to exchanging a few words with you in the future.
Anyes
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Anyes - Your method of transferring a design by making a template is a new technique for me - I'll have to give it a try. (I use a roll of tracing paper, and of course that requires drawing the design on both sides.)

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
I use tracing paper as well, for bigger and more intricate designs or for subjects I'm not too familiar with. For clothes, it's free hand.
Always a pleasure,
Anyes
XX

Holly Dean said...

I LOVE what you are doing with your laundry room, Anyes! Linda just emailed me about your blog - it's wonderful :)

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Holly and welcome to the DV,
Thank you so much for dropping in, so pleased you're enjoying my mural of undies. I should be done in a few days.
Anyes,
XX

Donna said...

Hello, fellow coraline corset afficionado! Just the attention to detail that you devoted to the BRACKET is beyond belief for me. I'm so impressed.

Mrs. D said...

Anyes,

Golly molly--this is turning out so good. I love it. Can't wait for the next stage and commentary.

Like your transfer method. You make "work" look like fun. Always inspired by your projects.

Mrs. D

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thank you so much Donna,
Your excellent blog is loaded with interesting visual and written details-a wonderful source for inspiration.
Always a pleasure.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Linda,
Thank you so much. After years and years of working in a field that was dictated by commerce and trends, it's really nice to have the freedom to do what I feel like doing. I feel your having a lot of fun as well.
Anyes,
XX