Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Victorian underwear in my Laundry Room - Completed


The laundry is dry, time to fold this post.

There is a faux rust finish on my metal curtain brackets, which coordinates nicely with the floors and cupboards of the laundry room. With an orange wooden pencil, I added this rust effect to my faux bracket on the wall.

For my wooden clothespins I mixed some paint to imitate the colouring of the floors and cupboards.
All the wooden clothespins have been painted, holding the clothes in place.

This room is narrow, so it's hard to take a good shot of the completed clothes line. Below is the clothes line in two shots to avoid the sharp angle.


The chemisette was featured in the previous post, but...

...I added a serpentine pattern to the hosiery, and...

... several more details to the corset.

The last flounce of the knickers were adorned with little cross stitched stars...

... and more serpentine pattern to its matching hose.

The bra was also featured in the previous post, but...

... the gloves needed finishing stitches.

Below are some detail shots of each pieces.






Voila, I'm done.

Another ad from the century old Canadian Magazine, this one rings very true to me still.

I now have to get out of the laundry room and back into my studio. It was a real pleasure to draw clothes without the constraints of commerce, trends and deadlines. Perhaps clothes will truly be an art form now that I'm out of the garment industry.

Thank you for following me on this fun project.

15 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Anyes,

This is one of the best posts I've seen--walking us through the steps to putting your project together. You are such a talented artist!

Visitors will walk into your laundry room and immediately feel the breeze that animates the undies.

I'd like to see your project in a magazine article. You know what I mean? I'd buy the magazine just to see beautiful detailed photos. Very inspiring Anyes. Five stars from me!

Mrs. D

The Dusty Victorian said...

Oh my gosh Linda,
You've made my day, no my month! Thank you so much.
Anyes
XX

Laura said...

I'm with Mrs.D. This should be in a magazine! It's just gorgeous and your talent, as always, astounds me.

You have created such a lovely space! Sometimes magazines feature stuff from blogs, you should look into it, seriously.

((Hugs))
Laura

Mrs. Robinson said...

This is so amazing...I've pinned! :)

The Dusty Victorian said...

Your support is dear to me Laura, thank you so much.
I will look into it.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mrs Robinson,
I'm so flattered, thank you.
Anyes
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Anyes - I like that you've used antique clothes pins — I haven't seen ones like that in ages! A fun project and a great finish — Brava!

Ivy and Elephants said...

I am visiting from Richard's blog, and am smitten by your gorgeous mural in the laundry, it is amazing!
I must come back often!
Hugs,
Patti

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Mark,
When researching my clothes pins, I was surprised to see that these commonplace little objects have a history that go back to the Roman times. I did not need to go back so far, but I realised that nothing is trivial.
Thank you for your support.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Patti and welcome to the DV. So pleased you stopped by after visiting Richard's amazing home. I had a peak at your blog and it looks absolutely charming.
When I have more time, I will drop in for a longer visit and catch up on what I've been missing.
Anyes
XX

JC said...

This is just gorgeous! You did an amazing job with all the fine details.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thank you so much JC,
I leave a pencil in the laundry room, because every time I go in, I add a little more here and there, but I'm winding down and i will soon leave it alone.Pleased you dropped in.
Anyes
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

I agree with Linda, this needs to be seen somewhere other than Blogland! You are unbelievably talented! I love the whimsy, and I love the way you pained the lace. I'm so far behind reading my favorite blogs... the last I saw, you had just sketched it out! I'll have to catch up. :-) Makes me want to reach out and pluck these undergarments from the line!

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thank you so much Pam, very glad you enjoyed.
Always a pleasure to hear from you.
Anyes
XX

None said...

Super cute and cool. I wish I had something like that on the wall to liven up this old cowboy's bunkhouse ;)
---Sage