Thursday, March 8, 2012

Light after Candles and Gas at the Dusty Victorian


When walking the dogs in the evening, we often notice the houses that are lit up, top to bottom. They are the ones with children. We also notice the ones we suspect are uninhabited, always dark and sad or spooky looking. To me, lighting is the soul of the house and an excellent gage to evaluate the amount of liveliness in a home.

The ceilings at the Dusty Victorian are 10' 3" in height, which explains why all ceiling light fixtures are suspended from a chain or a rod. This makes changing a light bulb an easy task. There is a wide variety of light fixtures at the DV, a few antiques, many vintage, one is new - but whether old or new, they all are in keeping with the style of the house. When purchasing the house, we were told that some of the light fixtures had been converted from gas to electrical. You can still see the little nobs used for turning the gas on or off (now only decorative details) in the kitchen, dining and studio parlour shots.

Starting with the light fixtures on the upper level and the most glamourous one.

 South-West bedroom (Astrid's)

 South bedroom (our's)

North bedroom (guest)

 North-West bedroom/study (I'm keeping an eye open for four matching glass shades)

 Bathroom

 Detail

 Laundry room - matching pair of light fixtures

 Detail

 Servant's staircase

Coming down to the main level:

 Kitchen

 Central foyer

 Detail

 Library - Matching pair of light fixtures

 Library - Single light fixture

 Detail

 Dining room

 Studio/parlour and dining room - Matching pair of light fixture

Studio/Parlour

With the exception of the first chandelier, the light fixtures at the DV are elegantly simple to moderately ornate which is in keeping with the country setting of the house. The Dusty Victorian has a relaxed atmosphere in comparison to a city home of the same periode. From the day we first walked in, the DV felt comfortable. I think it has a good soul.

18 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Hi Anyes,

I am in awe of your breathtaking collection of light fixtures.

Seeing one photo after another of your collection--I drew an excited sigh "ahhhhh" at each, admiring its thoughtful placement and beautiful form. How fabulous to have matching pairs of fixtures in your collection.

Are the fixtures original to the house, or did you add them over a period of time? Any good stories to share about collecting them? Can you tell us more about the date of these beautiful works of art?

Thanks for taking us on a tour of your light fixtures collection. I am struck silly by my favorites ones in the laundry room. Wow, those are to die for!

Ashley said...

You definitely have amazing fixtures in your home! Our house didn't get electricity until the late 1950s, so any fixtures we have definitely aren't antique...they're also missing all of their shades.

I adore the fixture in your "north bedroom".

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Linda,
Thank you. I should have mentioned that the succession of previous owners are to thank for this collection. Pretty much all of them were already here when we moved in four years ago so I don't have accurate documentation on them, just ear say by old neighbours and our sales agent. So glad your enjoyed it.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Ashley,
Shades are the first thing to go and nice matching ones are quite difficult to come across. Yes the guest room has one of the simple, but elegant ones I love as well.
Anyes
XX

Rachel said...

OMG these lights are amazing!!!!!! I especially love the bathroom one (gorgeous) and the one in the servant staircase. I equally love the ones with the crystals, too. So romantic and charming. We're having recessed lighting put in, which I'm eh about. Our house sits back on a city block, so we're trying to maximize brightness in every room, so a light in each corner. But I miss that we won't have the opportunity for something like these.

Richard Cottrell said...

Your lites are divine and the ceilings are beautiful. What a wonderful place to live. Richard from My Old Historic House.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Rachel, thanks for dropping in. I admirer your determination to live healthy and green. To buy a "let's gut it" is the way to go for you guys. You will know exactly what your house is made of once it's done. I don't have the type of partner for this type of major project, I'm not either, but good for you.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Richard,
Thank you so much, it does feel very good and the previous owners felt it as well. They lived here for 25 years. It says a lot.
Anyes
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Anyes,

I've enjoyed looking at all your lights, and especially appreciate all the work that went into the beautiful paint job on your dining room ceiling!

Also, the look of your new blog header is super. I think the smaller house image actually showcases the DV better.

Mark

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
The dining in room and parlour are remarkably ornate. The previous owner must have loved to entertain yet nothing was done to the kitchen. It's quite the nightmare in comparison.
Thank you about my new blog look. It took me a while to plan and execute, but after many technical errors it is done. I agree, a smaller image of the house is better. Paired with the library wallpaper and the font door windows, it conveys better what the DV is about - Decorative arts and architectural details.
Anyes
XX

housecrazy said...

wow - your light fixtures are amazing! Just stunning! How many of those are original to the house?

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Sarah,
Thanks for dropping in. I don't have official records of what is original to the house, but I was told that when gas lighting was installed, the kitchen was the first to have its suspended light which was, many years later, converted to electricity when the entire house was wired. We can only speculate that the guest room, servant's hallway and central foyer are the first electrical lights of the house.
Anyes
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

Wow, it's nice to see all your beautiful fixtures in one amazing post! You are indeed fortunate to have so many intact. I like the variety. And I really love your ceiling papers and medallions! I think older fixtures throw better light into a room, whether they were converted or not. Thanks for sharing! :-)

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Pam,
Indeed, we are very lucky that all the previous owners, weather knowingly or not, preserved the character of the house as best they could.
Anyes
XX

Donna said...

Hello Anyes,
What a collection! Your house is like a museum of lighting fixtures. I have those gas knobs all over my house and much more boring fixtures--but I do have the exact same crystal chandelier. Love the northwest study fixture the best, I think. For those fixtures that I do have, I found both old shades on ebay and new replacements in the Rejuvenation lighting catalog.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Donna,
Thank you so much for the tip. I have to be more focused and committed to the research (too many things going on). Of course, I'm secretly wishing that these shades will fall on my lap by magic.
Anyes
XX

Sarah @ { rad: renovations are dirty } said...

I *love* your original light fixtures! My parents have a Victorian in a nearby town to yours, and a couple of their lights seem to be nearly identical.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Sarah,
It seams like lot of the residents in small towns have been established for several generations and tend to be conservative and hang on to family heirloom. Excellent for people like us who appreciate character and history.
Best of luck with your home, you're off to a terrific start.
Anyes
XX