Victorian underwear in my Laundry Room - Completed

The laundry is dry, time to fold this post.

There is a faux rust finish on my metal curtain brackets, which coordinates nicely with the floors and cupboards of the laundry room. With an orange wooden pencil, I added this rust effect to my faux bracket on the wall.

For my wooden clothespins I mixed some paint to imitate the colouring of the floors and cupboards.
All the wooden clothespins have been painted, holding the clothes in place.

This room is narrow, so it's hard to take a good shot of the completed clothes line. Below is the clothes line in two shots to avoid the sharp angle.

The chemisette was featured in the previous post, but...

...I added a serpentine pattern to the hosiery, and...

... several more details to the corset.

The last flounce of the knickers were adorned with little cross stitched stars...

... and more serpentine pattern to its matching hose.

The bra was also featured in the previous post, but...

... the gloves needed finishing stitches.

Below are some detail shots of each pieces.

Voila, I'm done.

Another ad from the century old Canadian Magazine, this one rings very true to me still.

I now have to get out of the laundry room and back into my studio. It was a real pleasure to draw clothes without the constraints of commerce, trends and deadlines. Perhaps clothes will truly be an art form now that I'm out of the garment industry.

Thank you for following me on this fun project.

Victorian Underwear in my Laundry Room - Part III

I made a lot of progress this week - not too many distractions aside from our furnace breaking down. I won't blog about that, it would be like turning the knife in the wound. Okay. so back to pretty, feel good things. In the shot above, the basic shading has been applied and what follows are some progress shots for each garment, starting with the first on the line, the chemisette.

Guide lines for...

...many frills and tucks.

Black hose #1

I drew the details with a grey wooden pencil because I liked the grainy effect it gave the hose.

The corset would have most probably been flung open over the line to dry saddle style, but
how pretty would that have been.

Cosrets are a wonderful subject for someone who's very detailed orientated.

There will be more details added later, but I have to leave it alone for now. Please visit Donna at Streets of Salem for her lovely post on corsets (and her excellent blog).

The knickers paired with the chemisette above, could make for very pretty pyjamas.

Rose embroidered pattern at the waist, tucks down the legs and patterns in the frills.

Black hose #2

I gave hose #2 a twist at the ankle to give it more shape.

The bra is such a small item that it could get forgotten down the line... I gave it a bolder rose pattern.

Same with the gloves...

... I gave them the the high contrast treatment.

Next step will be to paint the wooden clothespins, the finishing details and corrections.

This post has been brought to you by PEARLINE, the "Best by Test" soap powder for all your delicate unmentionables.

[Another ad from our century old Canadian Magazine.]

Victorian Underwear in my Laundry Room - Part II

Satiric engraving from La vie parisienne, circa 1870.

These cast iron curtain brackets will be placed at the window of my laundry room. To keep a unity, I decided to use a portion of their design for each end of my laundry line.

I spray glued the paper design on a card stock and cut it out.

The template is rigid enough to trace for the left side...

...and flip over for the right side.

To trace the cord, I used chalk and simply wiped it clean if I had to correct myself.

I filled in the bracket with flat black paint and painted the cord line in between.

I was then ready to draw with chalk my Victorian undies along the cord line.

The base coats on all items have been applied. Frills, lace, motifs, etc... will be the next stage.