Thursday, November 10, 2011

Steampunk - If the Victorians had Computers


On Halloween night, our trusted iMac computer expired. For six years, it kept us connected with family, friends and the rest of the world, helped me with freelance work and was an important artistic tool for both my daughter and I. Thank you iMac 10.4 for your reliability, you are now with your maker(s) and your parts will be recycled.

Like a major home appliance, we can't imagine functioning well without a home computer so here we are with a new iMac.

Hello iMac 10.7, welcome to the Dusty Victorian.

Before the 10.4 white iMac, we had the green iMac...


...and before that, we had the LC575. The difference in design shows distinctively the return of Steve Jobs to Apple, giving the products a fresh new look.


As much as I love the sleek design of contemporary Macs and modern technology, I also love history. Steampunk designers have combined both in those amazing creations - welcoming new technology without closing the door on the past. Here are just a few examples that would fit in nicely in my Victorian home.

Steampunk Workshop

Steampunk Workshop

To see more amazing steampunk creations, go to Steampunk Workshop

The Wood Guy

The Wood Guy

For more beautiful steampunk desk accessories, go to The Wood Guy.

12 comments:

Ashley said...

How neat! I'm electing to decorate our Victorian more on the contemorary/modern side of things, but I can see how these would really fit in with the decor of a lot of old houses.

I wonder if they have anything for tvs? I'll have to look.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Ashley,
A new computer is already costly, add the custom steampunk work and it simply too much to have a perfectly coordinated home. We certainly have more pressing things to attend, but it's interesting to explore possibilities.
Anyes
XX

Richard Cottrell said...

I would be totally lost with out my computer. I do not have one at home, only at the shop. I am here most days and it works out good that way. Some of those styles are amazing. Thanks for sharing. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyès-

Sorry your computer went kaput, but aren't the latest models great? I've drooled over the Steampunk variations on the internet, and they really would look so cool in a Victorian home! I'm a Mac person, but they do run quite a bit of money. I love this post! BTW, we had the original Bondi Blue iMac, lol! :-)

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Richard,
It's amazing how dependant we've become to our home "robots". I bet those tour bus people would open up if they saw one of those steampunk computers in your home.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Pam,
Of course enviro sister - blue and green are very symbolic of recycling and love of nature :-)
I agree, Macs are so much more costly, but for the work I do, it's worth it. come to think of it, it's the only brand I'm loyal to.
Anyes
XX

Laura said...

I love the Steampunk designs! I'm totally into the clothing too and if I was 15 years younger, would wear it all!

Our computer is just about done too. With Christmas coming, it will just have to do a bit longer... :) (I hope!)
Congrats on your new one-it's sweet!

((Hugs))
Laura

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Anyes - I know how exasperating it can be to have the computer die on you (and just like with a car, it's never at a good time!). Each time it's happened to me, I've almost sworn off the computer, but of course that will never happen.

Steampunk as a style is an interesting and funny concept. The popularity of things like the PT Cruiser would indicate that there is a wide audience ready for mainstream Steampunk!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Laura,
Good luck with your computer, hope it hangs on for a while. We recently had a significant Vet bill, had to change the breaks on our vehicule and now a new computer. Christmas will be very reasonable this year.
By the way, you could totally pull off steampunk fashion. Just need the right occasion.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Mark,
I agree there's is never a good time for break downs.
And I totally agree that Steampunk is a humourous concept, some things are hilarious. The world of high tech design can take itself very seriously and can be clinical and cerebral. Steampunk designers are like the mad scientist in old Frankenstein movies - too funny.
Anyes
XX

Donna Seger said...

Great post, Anyes. I'm planning a fundraising party for one of our venerable Salem institutions with a steampunk theme, and so am always looking for inspiration--had not heard of The Wood Guy, so thanks for the link.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Your very welcome Donna, glad you enjoyed this post.
All my best for your fundraiser, it should be really fun with such a theme.
Anyes
XX