Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Crystal Garden Windows


It's no secret that I'm not a fan of winter, a hate the cold. Today it's -38 degree with the windchill factor and the Jeep won't start. I've experienced pretty much every type of weather Canada can throw at its people, but I did not expect a Quebec winter day in Southern Ontario. It's brutally cold when the film of moisture on your eyeballs freezes making it hard to blink. This is invariably accompanied by the 'nose thing', which is when you breath in through your nose and the moisture in your nostrils freezes sealing them shut. But I have to admit that as much as I hate the cold, Old Man Winter can draw up some pretty awesome artwork on my windows. No other season can produce this type of magic.









Stay warm, stay safe, drink some hot cocoa.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Those forests of ferns take me back to my childhood. I used to lie in bed looking at them in wonderment. I haven't seen them since central heating and double glazing which I am sure that you have, so it must be really, really, cold.
PS my favourite is photo 4 - it reminds me of Escher's Birds in Space.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Rosemary,
These extreme temperatures are inhuman. Certainly not normal for Southern Ontario. I feel sorry for wild life around here who are not use to this.
That's my favourite as well, it triggers the imagination.
Anyes
xx

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Dear Anyes,

Like Rosemary, I am particularly taken by the photo that looks like birds in flight.

It has gotten cold all the way to Florida, where today we will experience near-freezing weather. The citrus growers are concerned, and today I saw a robin who looked very out of place!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
Yes, the birds in flight make me want to fly down south with them, but even further than Florida I understand. How stressful for growers...for everyone really. I'm baffled to hear on the news that some people are still unconcerned and don't think humans are responsible for these extreme weather conditions.
Anyes
xx

JC said...

Your photos are beautiful, Anyes! These ice formations are one of my favourite parts of winter. I remember seeing them often on the windows of the school bus, and I still see them today at (ironically) the bus booth.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thanks so much JC, I can relate to that as well. One of my new year resolutions was to try to focus on the positive side of winter (difficult at -38), but these patterns certainly were.
Anyes
xx