Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Crested Garden

My herb and vegetable garden took the shape of a crest or an emblem so I decided to sketch one up using the lion featured on the wall paper of the library. Sun, foliage, flowers, birds and ribbon completes the composition - I should make a flag out of this.


Finished carving. The stripes of grass left are the width of the lawn mower, I think they help to keep moisture in the ground and provide good areas to step on when collecting my "bounty".


Now for planting: Heirloom tomatos, cucumbers, multi-coloured carrots, snow peas, sage, flat leaf parsley, rosemary, lavender, chive and garlic. I added Marigolds to repel bugs and to add some colour.


This year, I did not make the mistake of planting too close together, and finished with a good layer of mulch. Now to keep my beasts out of that area.

I made a trellis for the snow peas, which I will show you in my next post.

6 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Hi Anyes,

Yummy Snow peas! Love the Dusty Victorian crest. What colors will you paint the crest? Can you describe it for me?

Mrs. D

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Linda,
Glad you like my crest, thank you. That's going to be one of my rainy day project, but I would like to transfer the crest to my computer so I can play around with it and try different colour combinations. One of the combination will certainly be William Morris style.
Anyes
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Your crest is delightful, and I would certainly nominate you to be a herald! And I think you were very clever to make your garden paths the width of the lawnmower — sounds like the voice of experience!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
Thank you so much. Yesterday, I tested the lawn mower in that area and the only piece giving me trouble was the one on the right - not much room to manuver because of the ceders. But over all it went well.
Anyes
XX

Laura said...

I LOVE it! I can't wait to see it all growing. You'll have to keep us updated.

At first I read that you had to "keep my BREASTS out of that area"... needless to say, I reread the sentence. LOL

((Hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Laura,
LOL, My beasts are the ones that are always a topic of conversation - understandably so :)
I will keep you posted on my garden. Thank you for droping in.
Anyes
XX