Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Two More Done


If I don't have too many interruptions, it takes me a day to do a window. I prefer removing the window from its frame so I can work comfortably on terra-ferma (or should I say porcha-ferma?). Once the window is done - glazing, scraping, sanding and painting - I work on the frame and then put the window back into place. Brian steps in to do any parts I can't reach and installs the shutters. Here he is at our bedroom window, above the side porch.





The other window done, above front and centre, is at the end of the main upstairs hallway. It looks small from where I stand, but with Brian as reference, you can see that the windows are quite tall, but narrow (like Brian himself).



The next ones will be the windows in Astrid's bedroom. She has two located at the south-west upper corner of the house. But I need a break, they will have to wait a little. I want to spend time in my garden.

6 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...

And you deserve a break. I've found that the jobs that most people consider drugery get to that point because people have unreasonable timeframe expectations.

Laura said...

Oh my goodness! How many more do you have to do?
I'm betting that this is the only time that you'll do them in your lifetime. :P
I'm tired just reading about it all.
They do look fantastic though. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Mark,
I absolutely agree, one has to know one's limitations and know when to stop and recharge.
Cheers!
Anyès
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Laura,
After the two in Astrid's room I will have 5 windows left with their respective shutters, on the North side of the house. They are the least damaged, but these will be left for spring 2012). I will also have the front windows in the tower part, but no shutters are involved. I will see how I feel later this season, they may be left for next spring as well. Thank you for your moral support.
Anyès
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

Even with our tiny Victorian house, it's difficult to mangage all the tasks that need to be addressed. I commend you for all your hard work, and fine job! It's nice to know that there are people who still care enough to do the necessary upkeep on these old homes. And most of it is backbreaking, boring, tedious and often dangerous! :-)

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

I agree Pam, it's truly labour of love.
Anyès
XX