Friday, June 17, 2011

Gentlewoman Farmer


I was so busy with work on the house that my spring flowers came and went and I barely noticed. So I'll show you progress on my fruits and vegetable plants.

Here are garden boxes Brian built for me earlier this spring, using the wood left over from the fence. Pretty good for someone who could barely hold a hammer when I first met him. Because the dogs like to water the garden, but not in a beneficial way, I wanted the boxes to be out of reach. The height is also easier on my back. I kept it simple and chose easy varieties to grow, mainly due to my lack of experience.

Earlier this spring.

Taken a few days ago. It soon became overcrowded so I had to transplant some varieties into the ground nearby, protecting them from the dogs with chicken wire.


I also planted raspberry stalks to create a hedge. I don't expect anything much this year.

Twenty raspberry stalks.

Three blueberry plants.

The strawberries are coming.

Six sweet red peppers plants. They're not doing so well - not enough sun I guess.


Six Red Beef tomato plants.

Three cucumber plants.

My mom gave me some garlic and chive from her garden.


And finally, several heads of lettuce.

If all goes well with this garden, I'll try heirloom varieties next year.

Thank you to Our Vintage Garden for these beautiful Victorian images.

12 comments:

Richard Cottrell said...

I see more and more people making raised beds or flower boxes for there garden. It is such a good thing. Thanks for sharing. Richard at My Old Historic House

Laura said...

Mmmmm, everything looks so good! I really miss having a garden. (ours had to go when we got a pool).
I really like the idea of those boxes! They will be much easier, especially as we *ahem* age. :)

Great job. It all looks beautiful!

((Hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Richard,
If I'm disappointed with my fruits and vegetables, I can always move those boxes along our fence and plant shrubs and flowers into them.
Always a pleasure,
Anyès
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thanks Laura,
Oh, lucky you, I would choose a pool over a garden anytime, but I'm not complaining.
Anyès
XX

Scott Harris said...

Hello

I'm glad you enjoy the images as much as we do.Ahhh,for the old days.Hand painted covers and homes that were built to last:)

Your lettuce looks great.I had some great looking lettuce but the slugs thought it looked great as well and they ate it all:(

Cheers

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

I just got to looking at your beautiful home..and wondered if you have to take your groceries and such...up ALL THOSE STAIRS everytime you need to take them into the house ?
We had an alley in back of our home in Chicago.. and a side door to the house...that is where we brought all the groceries and such in.

Rose

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Scott, thank you for dropping in at the Dusty V. and for your kind email response.

All my best on this worthy project. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meadowlily-Woods-Environmentally-Sensitive-Area/19676496874

Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Rose,
We do have a driveway at the back of the house. It's an ancient 'right of way' between two house which you can see in my Eavestrough posts. But I have to say that we rarely use it and we prefer getting the exercise.
Anyes
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I enjoyed the images from Our Vintage Garden, and the images of your own happy, healthy garden. Do you use a liner of some sort in those raised garden beds?

The Dusty Victorian said...

So glad you enjoyed it Mark,
Yes, the boxes are lined with the black garden fabric that is meant to prevent weeds under mulched areas. Also, because I did not need so much depth for these plantings, I filled 1/3 of the bottom with Styrofoam peanuts. Always a pleasure.
Anyes
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyès-

Oh, I'm so behind in reading blogs LOL! I wish I had more room in our garden. It's pretty much filled with perennials, and barely a square foot left for much else. We do have a batch of raspberry bushes, though, and just love that! That was a great idea to raise the beds with boxes to keep the dogs out. They look great, too- kudos to your husband! Hope you get an abundant crop of everything!:-)

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thanks Pam,
I don't expect much raspberries this year, but I hope that next summer I will be able to pick several every morning for my bowl of cereal. (If the birds don't get to them first).
Anyes
XX