Monday, June 6, 2011

Victorian Shutters - Part... I don't know anymore

Yes, bear with me, I'm back to working on my shutters and windows. I've had a late start on them because of a bad spring, but I'll spare you the unsightly details of peeling paint and "gunky" stripping and skip to shots closer to the finished stages.

I'm prioritizing, restoring the windows and shutters that were the most damaged first. We felt a noticeable difference last winter - rooms with windows that had been restored seemed warmer.

My working station, under the side porch where it's shaded and breezy.

Locations where the restored shutters will hang.

Above the side porch, south windows.

Back upper windows, east side.

Front upper windows, west side.

The stripped hardware from the shutters. They had been soaking all winter in an eco friendly stripper. When came time to clean them up, I just used a toothbrush, soap and water. If you really want to see "gunky" stripping go to this related post.

The spray painted hardware, ready to be screwed back on the shutters.

8 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I like the lovely shade you've picked to complement the bricks. I usually see a lot of contrasting colors for shutters, but I think your deft touch will make for a more elegant whole.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thank you Mark.
Few people can picture the end result - I know you can.
Encouragement is so very appreciated at this point.
Anyès
XX

LydiaO said...

Looks great and it also looks like a lot of work! I don't know about you but I love stripping and painting hardware. It's just so satisfying to see it go from yukky to fabulous. I like the color you painted the shutters, I think it will go very well with the house.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello LydiaO,
Welcome to the DV and thank you for you kind words.
For me, I can't say that love is involved in stripping and painting hardware, but I agree, it's very satisfying once it's done. From yukky to fabulous is so very accurate.
Anyès
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

That's a lot of windows and a lot of shutters! It's great that you noticed a difference with the ones you had finished last year. Do you just keep them closed all winter? I don't know anything about exterior working shutters. I really admire the hard work you've been putting into this house. There's always so much to do in these old houses, but it's so worth it in the end!

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Pam,
Now that the glaze around the windows has been repaired on the most damaged windows, they are much more energy efficient. We leave the shutters open or it would be too dark in the house, but it's remarkable how much they cut down on draft and light. We also have winter windows that are installed from the inside which makes for easier installation. I think that is reason why this house still has its original windows.
Thank you for sheering me on, it's so appreciated.
Anyes
XX

Pamela on the Front Porch said...

Your home and property is very beautiful. Old houses can be sooo much work but so very rewarding. It is truly lovely. Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Pamela,
Welcome and thank you for leaving a comment. Your aprons are absolutely charming. Wishing much success with your Etsy shop.
Anyes
XX