Thursday, June 10, 2010

Victorian shutter hardware


This past week was rainy and cool - not very pleasant for outdoor work. Besides, my back was on the fritz again. In these moments, I do my least favorite things: stripping and cleaning the hardware for the shutters.

After chipping away at layers of paint to expose the screw, I remove the hinges from the window frame. I don't believe they'd ever been removed because I was seeing bare wood where the hinges once had been.

I then put them to soak in a glass jar of eco stripper and forget about them. Some of the hinges have been soaking for weeks. It looks pretty nasty, but at this point, it's not hard work at all, but it is messy. The paint has separated from the metal and it comes off like removing the skin of a cooked chicken.



I clean them with soap, water and a tooth brush to remove whatever is left. Then they're spray painted with a heat tolerant paint. Those hinges get really hot, being exposed to the sun all day.

4 comments:

sunshine said...

Oooo! That's a yucky job, isn't it?
Like the skin off of a chicken?? Blah!
You've lost me. I'd leave the shutters up and hope for the best. :P

But I'm lazy. :)

They did turn out well though. They look brand new!
Good job.
Now get over to my blog. I need your opinion...

((hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Laura,
I know, it's the most yucky post I have done, but I blame the bad weather. Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to your blog right now.

XX

Eastlake Victorian said...

Anyes-

I really like the idea of an eco stripper. Next time I need to do some stripping, I will try to find some. It looks like it works really well... those hinges are like new!

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Pam,
I don't know if the eco stripper would work as fast as the traditional stripper because I leave them to soak for days and days, but speed is not a issue for me. And perhaps it would work as fast, but it certainly does not give me headaches and it does not burn the skin. Good stuff.

XX