Saturday, June 19, 2010

Wild Rabbits at the Dusty Victorian

Having been city dwellers most of our lives, Brian and I were astounded to see so much wildlife around us in St Marys. Marmots, mallards, geese, hawks, owls and the odd red fox are just a few examples, but my favourites are the wild rabbits. It may be that they remind me of the times I read to my daughter the tales of Beatrix Potter.
While I was in Montreal a few months ago, Brian called me to tell me that the dogs had discovered a nest of 5 wild baby rabbits at the rear of the house. Violet had cornered one and was frantically licking his head as to say "Don't worry, I love puppies". Though we knew that the dogs would not harm them in any way, we still did not allow them access to the back yard. The bunnies settled back into their nest. A few days later, Brian called me again to give me some sad news. Two of the five bunnies had fallen prey to some creatures of the night, leaving a bloody crime scene and two mangled bunny bodies on the stone patio. Several weeks later, a third one was found dead for no apparent reason. All three were buried in our back yard. The nest is no longer occupied. I spotted one of the remaining two a few days ago and was able to take a few shots of it. I also took a few shots of adult wild rabbits regularly seen around our property. Being a food source for pretty much anything that hunts, they have developed excellent "run and hide" behavior - so please forgive the blurry images; I had to take them from afar.

Here is our little Peter Rabbit taken from different angles, keeping a low profile. We hope to see Benjamin Bunny soon.

This is the wild bunny nest. It's basically a hole in the ground lined with rabbit fur. Imagine them all piled up one on top of each other keeping warm.

This one is a juvenile.

This one was quite big with fully grown ears, obviously an adult.

If Beatrix Potter was alive, I think she would be a very good friend of the Dusty Victorian. Here she is at her farm, Hill Top, c. 1907.

9 comments:

sunshine said...

I have that collection of Beatrix Potter books as well! I bought them for Gabby when she was born.
Peter Rabbit is my favourite! Such a fat and greedy rabbit!

We have wild rabbits here too. They come into our backyard, sit, eat, poop. Cheech usually goes out and cleans that up. Blah. :P

That is terrible that 3 had to die. Especially the 2 that met such a violent end! How sad. :(

Beatrix Potter would LOVE your house and your blog I'm sure. She looks like a kindred spirit. :)

Have a lovely day.

((Hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Laura,
The tales of Beatrix Potter are great for a new mom, but even if my daughter is too old for the stories, we both still enjoy the illustrations.

Nature is pretty brutal.

Thanks for dropping in, have a good one.

XX

Mrs. Teapot said...

Congratulations on you new home. It is quite lovely. I perused through your blog. Your art is beautiful. I was wondering if you would be able to enlarge the photos you have on your blog. They are not too big and it's hard to see some of the detail. Would love to see nice big photos and all the details that come with an old Victorian.

Enjoy,

The Dusty Victorian said...

Dear Mrs. Teapot,
Thank you for dropping in. I'm glad you enjoy my blog even if the pics are too small for you. Will keep that in mind for my future posts.
Kind regards,
Anyes

Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

It's so sad that some of your wild bunny babies were killed! But I guess that's why Mother Nature created so many bunnies. A few years back, I found an abandoned bunny nest in a pile of leaves in our yard. The bunnies must have been extremely camouflaged while they were using it, because I never noticed it until I was pulling some weeds right next to it! I love to see the local wildlife. Thank you for sharing your rabbit adventures! :-)

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Pam,
Yes, if not for our dogs sniffing them out, we would have never known. I just saw one a few hours ago eating wild strawberries in our yard. Love it.

XX

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Oh this story just tugs at my heartstrings! I love bunnies! I also agree with Eastlake Victorian, that's why mother nature gave wildlife so many babies at one time:(
Terry

GinaBVictorian said...

I love Peter Rabbit, I read all of Beatrix Potter's stories to my daughter also. Did you see the movie about her life? I believe it was called Miss Potter. It was very good!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Yes, I've seen the movie - absolutely charming.
Anyes
XX