Friday, November 21, 2014

Christmas Decoration 2014 - DIY Tissue Paper Lantern


This year, I went with a bold red statement. It's an easy, low-cost project that creates a big impact. Rather time-consuming and repetitive, I did it in stages to relieve the boredom. 


I used one of my paper lantern for a base and covered it with red tissue paper using a homemade mixture of white glue and water. I cut many tissue disks and made simple little flowers, gathering and twisting the centre to create a stem.


I made a whole bunch of flowers while watching TV at night and then glued them the next morning.
I repeated this process over several days to cover my two lanterns.
I first used a glue stick, but switched to spray glue soon after. A shop stick to press the flower down into the glue was useful.


I ended up with a ball measuring 60" in circumference.



It now hangs from my entrance medallion.


My daughter contributed to decorative details, such as a fairy, dragonfly, leaves and branches to suspend the ball…


and she made a lovely paper garland using pages of an old and damaged hymn book. 


Hanging from the bottom, a glass ball that Astrid painted when she was a tiny fairy.


The dining room chandelier was also given the bold red treatment with a smaller tissue ball measuring 41" in circumference.


The little acrobat fairies are back, but this year I've added paper-cut snowflakes and garland.



I also made paper snowflakes to hang in the library, made from the pages of the old hymn book. I waxed the snowflakes so they would stay flat and firm. To wax them I used two used dryer sheets for each snowflake. The snowflake is sandwiched between the two dryer sheets, I then iron them on a low setting. There's just enough wax left on those sheets and the snowflakes smell good as well. Use an old iron or protect your good one by placing a thin cloth or paper over your work.

Come back to see this year's Christmas cedar dress.

4 comments:

Mark Ruffner said...

Dear Anyes,

You always amaze me with the inventiveness of your projects, and I see that that runs in the family, too. Your decorations are just gorgeous! Now I look forward to seeing what you do with the Countess!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

How beautiful Anyes! Your newel post lamp is gorgeous and your ceiling medallions take my breath away!
Thanks for the snowflake tip, who would have thought?
Take care,
gina

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed this post.
Always a pleasure,
xx

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Gina,
Yes, those medallions are quite something. I had initially kept my used dryer sheets for a Halloween project, but never got the time, so they will now be used for Christmas. You will see them again very soon.
Thank you for dropping in.
xx