Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Painting the Hallways at the DV



January 2013 at the DV started in the spirit of renewal - fixing, refreshing and painting, which are basically constants when one lives in a century home. Hoping to be done by February 1st, many interruptions, distractions and unforeseen little problems put us behind schedule. 
Not the prettiest post you will see, but here is the work in progress.

Brian filling holes and imperfections, sanding wall and trims.
I love discovering what were the previous colours of the house.  Sometimes a source of inspiration and re-used,  in this case: 'Dusty Rose'. I will pass.

The hallway upstairs where the glare of semi-gloss is very obvious.
Primer done on all wood trims and doors.



Brian started on the ceiling upstairs.
Now for the downstairs ceiling.
Two coats of 'Sugar Vanilla' ceiling paint - done.

The Dusty Victorian's original entrance medallion - now, that's more than pretty. Note the hook in the centre. The medallion has remained unwired for electricity all these years. It probably was meant to hang a lantern or chandelier. One of those things that is not a priority, but for which I'm keeping an eye out.


Stay tuned for further progress reports on the hallways. Soon, I hope.

7 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Anyes - Your ceiling medallion is absolutely charming! I can appreciate all the work you're doing, since I spent the better part of half a year painting the outside of my house. Not that the house is that big, but I wanted it to be perfect, and also
because I limited myself to about four hours per day. I quickly discovered that flat paint hides a multitude of imperfections!

Ashley said...

You have such a beautiful home - the ceiling medallion is gorgeous! We discovered this summer that the outside trim was originally painted a dark green. Definitely not my thing but can see how it would look nice!

JC said...

Wow, I think these are a few of the first interior photos I've seen of you house, and they don't disappoint! What gorgeous details!

I really like that the medallion incorporates pineapples (a long-used symbol of welcome).

I would have to guess that the original chandelier would have been able to be lowered to light it, and replenished spent fuel (probably kerosene oil lamps). I remember seeing a post last year on "Big Old Houses" where there was this huge old manor house in the middle of nowhere, and I believe most of the building STILL has no electricity. All the original chandeliers have to be lit by hand and they are as I described above. I think the ceilings in that house were over 14 feet, too. If I can find that post, I'll send you the link. It may give you more ideas.

JC said...

Found it!

http://bigoldhouses.blogspot.ca/2012/10/civility-in-wild.html

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
I know you're a perfectionist. Brian and I can't work on the same floor-I drive him crazy with details. Thank god for flat paint! Don't get me wrong, I like my "uneven" old walls, they have so much character. I would never replace them with perfect new drywall. But I certainly don't want to emphasize the defects. Besides, colours look warmer and richer with flat paint. Trims are different.
Always a pleasure,
Anyes
xx

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Ashley,
So glad you stopped by. I've been having troubles leaving comments on your blog - not sure why. The dark green was so popular in those days, I found some on my house as well, but don't want to go there either.
Anyes
xx

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello JC,
Thanks for the link - fascinating! I will have to go back to savour it and absorb it all more slowly.
The little goddess at the bottom of the stairs steels the show and the medallion often remains un noticed. If there was something sparkly hanging from the medallion, it would draw the eye upwards and all would be noticed. In time...
Anyes
xx