Thursday, July 3, 2014

'Fretworking' - Part II

 Cleaned, scrapped, sanded, primed and painted. In these shots, the colour appears greenish, but it's actually more cream.

 Inner front fretwork is done.

Here is the front corner...

looking down the length of the side porch.

I'm always amazed by the effect of fresh paint.

 It's been smooth sailing/sanding up to the last side section. There may have been some water damage at some point in the past - the arrow shows slightly warped ceiling boards. That area of the fretwork below the arrow shows very brittled paint that no longer sticks to the wood - alligatoring.

This a close-up of the area which I stripped with a heat gun. Tried with our steamer, but the remaining paint was just too thick.

Here is the end of the porch leading to the garden. Two sections to do.

Note the brackets, one with hook, one with hole, present at the top of every post except for one. I think they were meant for curtains. Just love the fact that they're still there.

The Puddicombe House in New Hamburg ON 
Wondering how the Dusty Victorian would look with curtains around its porch? Here is Puddicombe House in New Hamburg built in 1868. A much fancier version of our house. I like the effect, giving the impression of added living space. The front curtains would also shield us from the sun from 2:00 pm until sunset.


Mark Ruffner said...

Dear Anyes,

I've never used a heat gun to remove paint, but I understand it really cuts down on time and aggravation. That creamy color looks great! I'm wondering whether you have used oil-based or latex paints? And the Puddicombe House looks very festive with its curtains — I see possibilities for the Dusty Victorian's future!

Rosemary said...

As usual you are making a fabulous job of the fretwork which is looking very attractive.
The idea of some flimsy curtains around the porch in the heat of the day sounds a very attractive proposition. You could sit there happily drinking tea watching the world go by and nobody would even know that you were there!

Rosemary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
In my experience, I found the heat gun to be very effective on old thick oil-based paint layers. It's amazing how it bubbles and easily lifts from the wood surface. The steamer is good for newer and fewer layers of later paint. I use an oil base primer before two coats of high-quality exterior latex. The first shutters I did 5 years ago are holding up really well and they're really exposed to the elements. Anyway, so far so good.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Rosemary,
I agree, a nice cup of tea or a glass of wine sounds very civilized. Brian especially likes to read there until it gets too hot, but those curtains could do the trick.

Ben Knowles said...

Hi Anyes,

Just wanted to say you have an absolutely stunning home. Why aren't you on twitter?! The world needs to see these photos. :-)

As a family we make Victorian Lamp Posts and other Victorian cast iron pieces - basically we have a passion for anything Victorian, if you're ever in the UK let us know and we'll smuggle an old London lamp post into your hand luggage - it would fit in perfectly outside your house.

Keep up the posts!

Ben from Shropshire, UK x

The Dusty Victorian said...

Welcome to the DV Ben and thank you so much for the compliment. Oh I agree, an old London lamp post would be a wonderful addition to the front and/or back yards.
That's a very sweet offer :)
So glad you enjoy my posts.

Curtains in My Tree said...

Love love the idea of the curtains out on the porch
I named my blog after hanging lace curtains hanging from trees around my patio, because i din't have a porch LOL

The Dusty Victorian said...

I think the name of your blog triggers the imagination - love it!