Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Victorian Veranda - work in progress


ve·ran·da [vuh-ran-duh] noun. Also, ve·ran·dah. Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S. a large, open porch, usually roofed and partly enclosed, as by a railing, often extending across the front and sides of a house; gallery.
Origin: early 18th century: from Hindi varaṇḍā, from Portuguese varanda 'railing, balustrade'.

porch [pawrch, pohrch] noun. An exterior appendage to a building, forming a covered approach or vestibule to a doorway.

I often find myself wondering about the use of certain English words. Yes, I'm bilingual, but I grew up in a French speaking environment, so please forgive my mistakes. I've been using the word porch to describe my veranda. As for 'the gingerbread railing', I believe it would be a little more accurate to use 'the gingerbread balustrade' to describe that part of my veranda. For me, writing in my second language is very time consuming. But believe me when I tell you, it would be even more time consuming if I wrote in French.


So here I am, at my veranda, assessing my gingerbread balustrade and everything else that will/can be done this season.


The skirt will need a good clean and paint job. I'm removing them so I can work comfortably on workhorses.


I have to point out the excellent cutting job at the ends - following the shape of the stone.


The veranda is supported by huge stone pillars extending from the house's foundation.


A few floor boards and some supports show rot here...


here...


here as well...


and here. Some minor, some major.


I also had some rot showing in front, which I've started work on.

12 comments:

Rosemary said...

What a talent you are, not only repainting the veranda but also replacing the rot - I wouldn't have a clue how to tackle a job like that.
When you say that it would be even more time consuming writing in French is that because of the accents you would have to use.

Ashley said...

Your veranda is beautiful! I've been calling ours a porch as well, perhaps I'll have to change that.

GinaBVictorian said...

Hi Anyes,
That first photo of your house with the "veranda" just takes my breath away! I sometimes call my little front porch a veranda, just to sound Victorian. It only covers a third of the front of the house so really it is not a veranda but it covers more then just the front door area so it is really more then a porch. So I don't know...
But yours on the other hand is definitely a veranda! Lucky you!! Thanks for sharing.
Gina

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Rosemary,
I come from a family of five girls and we learned a lot by helping my dad, he was very handy. I often know what to do when something comes up, but I don't always have the appropriate tool. As for writing in French, accents are the least of my worries, it is the rules concerning verb tenses and syntax which are complex and require loads of memory.
I have to triple check everything.
Thanks for droping in,
Anyes
xx

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Ashley,
Porch or veranda, so nice to have one.
Anyes
xx

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Gina,
Perhaps we can make up a combo name for it, such as porchanda - Sounds Italian. In French, a big porch is called 'gallerie', but I don't know that gallery is commonly used in English. No matter the size, it's like an extra room to enjoy.
Anyes
xx

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Dear Anyes,

My mother did not learn English until she was 10, and she said that it was a most confusing language, in large part because there were so many exceptions to so many rules. Then she would say, "imagine learning the pronunciations of through, though and thought!" So I salute you, both on language and always being so proactive!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
My gosh, I can totally relate to what your mom is saying. I guess each language has its own quirks. I'm lucky to have my own in-house editor to catch them in writing, but he has to put up with my pronunciation mistakes, which often brings a chuckle. I don't know if your mom ever used this excuse, but when I'm too tired to go out I say to Brian "I'm a little more tired than you because I speack in my second language all day".
Anyes
xx

Mark D. Ruffner said...

My mother ended up majoring in English, so it was not a problem for her — I was the one who got corrected!

She had spoken French and German in her childhood (my grandparents' languages), so when she spoke German as an adult and was uncertain of a word, she would think of it via French, rather than English.

The Dusty Victorian said...

I see, you had a teacher at home as well as in school. Now that would explain why your blog is so well crafted, it reads effortlessly. It shoes lots of discipline and respect for the written (and spoken) word.

One always seams to fall back on one's first(s) language(s). In my case, the French comes out when I'm really angry, or really happy - emotional reactions.
Anyes
xx

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I would love to have your house even if it wasn't a work in progress. LOL...Its sooo beautiful. I love the Ginger bread railings. They are going to be gorgeous when its all done.
I wish you all the hopes and dreams you have for your home come true and May God Bless you and your family.
XXOO Marie Antoinette

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello M. A.
Welcome to the DV. Thank you for your sweet words and wishes. Your creations are true labour of love, so precious, delicate and whimsical.
All my best,
Anyes,
xx