Friday, January 6, 2012

My 2012 To Do List



At this time of the year, I feel like the guy in this painting. I have three dogs, but it feels like I have a dozen. I don't think I gained weight during the holidays, but I feel heavy and I have no energy. It must be the winter blaws.


Even my house looks drab, fat and tired. It's the north side taken from the school's property. The shutters were removed last autumn. Without the shutters the windows look too narrow in proportion to the house. To think that most people end up permanently removing their shutters, rendering their home bland and generic.

First item on the To Do List, restoring the shutters and painting the window frames on the north side. Five windows in all, so this should count as five items on the To Do List.


Included in the first five items is the removing, stripping and spray painting of the corresponding hardware. Some are already soaking in Safe Strip solution. Ashley from First Home Dreams, uses an old crock pot and lets the hardware simmer in water for a while. I take much comfort in knowing that after this side is done there will be only one window left to restore: the top window of the tower. This one will have to be dealt with by a professional.

Sixth item: Restoring and painting the kitchen doors. The exterior one is very damaged, but nothing I can't handle. I intend to use my front entrance doors as inspiration for the back doors.

The interior door is in much better shape.

The handle is pretty, but the mechanism is so worn down. I'm not sure if I can salvage it for this door, but may install it on the door going to the basement. Anyway, I'll see later.

Seventh item: This is the door to the library. Yes, it's an awful aluminium door - it has to go. It should be replaced by a wooden one, perhaps a custom copy of the kitchen door.

Again, the interior door will be a breeze.

How about that gorgeous door plaque!

Of course there will be much more things I plan to add to my To Do List, but the ones relating to the house must have priority.

14 comments:

JC said...

Hi, regarding the exterior door lockset that is "worn out", is it possible that it's mostly due to rust? These mechanisms are very simple to take apart. You could try disassembling it (there's only a few pieces inside), cleaning/wire brushing, and then maybe even adding a bit of grease to it. Just a thought before you consider replacing it.

Ashley said...

Have you used Safe Strip before? I haven't, but have been intrigued by it. I'm such a cheapo, though, so I'll probably stick to my crock pot, haha!

Your doors and their hardware are lovely. Love the paint scheme.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi JC,
Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it when I'm at that point.

Hi Ashley,
Yes, I've been using Safe Strip since the beginning. I don't have an old crock pot, but I think it's a great idea.

Anyes
XX

Laura said...

I feel the same as you. No energy. :(

I agree with you about the shutters. I LOVE them and think that they do wonders in finishing off a home.
I think that we will probably have to redo ours this year as well. Of course ours are not quite the undertaking that yours are. Still, I need to pick out some new colours and I'm not great with that sort of thing....

((Hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

Happy New Year, Anyes.

As a fellow old home-owner (1827 in my case), I find your list substantive but not TOO intimidating. We've got chimney repointing on our list this year, but I (unlike you!) am not going to physically do the work, just pay for it. I hope all your projects go smoothly.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Happy New Year to you as well Donna,
In Canada, the time we can work on the exterior of the house is pretty short, so I know my limits, physically and season wise. But I certainly could not handle repointing a chimney. I agree, that's a job for a professional. Thank you for your good wishes.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

The Dusty Victorian said...
Hello Laura,
I guess I'm just not a wintery person. But I shouldn't complain, it's been a very easy one so far.

Our town has mostly old yellow brick homes (made from the local limestone), but there are a few red brick ones with interesting colour trims. My next post will be about houses around town - you might see colour combinations that appeals to you. But you are giving me the idea of including, with my post, some colour combo suggestions that I find appealing. Thanks Laura, hope it helps.
Anyes
Xx

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

Happy New Year! I give you credit for having your new year's projects planned out, and the hardware already soaking in stripper! I think that kitchen door's exterior doorknob is really beautiful. I hope JC is right, and it can be easily repaired.

I know you'll be so happy when all your exterior projects are complete! Of course, keep us posted.
:-)

-Pam

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Anyes - I haven't been blogging about it, but I've spent the past month painting the whole outside of my house. But you know how that is - "painting" also means stuccoing, patching, sanding, caulking, priming, taping ... and on and on. At some point I'll have a reveal, I promise!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Pam,
After the windows are done there will still be a long list of things to attend, but the windows were so draughty that they had to be attended. It quite amazing how much more comfortable the house is and I'm not even finished yet. Of course, I can only do prep work at this point, but believe me, there is a lot to do on the inside.
Lots of blogging material.
Anyes
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
I can't wait to see your newly painted house and the colours you have chosen. I know what you mean, the painting part is just the tip of the iceberg. My next post will be about historic homes in St Marys and the colours they have chosen for their trims.
Anyes
XX

Holt House said...

love your house, good luck with all your projects!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Welcome HH,
Thank you for dropping in and for your kind words. Opening our home to B&B travellers is fairly new to us, but it's been very positive. Good luck with that.
Anyes
XX