Monday, February 11, 2013

Joyeuse St-Valentin!



When presenting a heart themed post, one runs the risk of falling into the kitch and sappy category. The market is saturated with romantic heart shape Victoriana of all sorts, so I will deliberately stay away from this style. The heart is, to me, the shape that is truly universally understood by all human beings on this planet and is absolutely timeless.


Two of my birthday presents, this year, came in the shape of hearts. Appropriate since it is not far from Valentine's Day and they come from the two loves of my life. Brian got me this adorable little garnet ring from Gems Berry, shown further above with one of my little guest soaps in a heart shape crystal dish I found in a local second hand store.


Astrid gave me this big chunky vintage necklace from Things of Splendor. A huge metal heart set with big facetted glass stones. Perfect for a super simple little black or white dress. Another Etsy shop owned by a fashion lover and collector of all things splendid.

Other heart items I love, found on Etsy:

This impeccably crafted ceramic pendent from Studio Khan. You have to snap the nodules apart and reconnect them to shape the heart. The chain comes from inside the pieces - so clever.


The Dusty Raven offers barb wire hearts for your vines to grow on. Jewellery for your house and garden.

Because our hearts can also be broken. This Art Nouveau style black mourning pin at  Sweet Sweet Vintage is elegantly understated.


How adorable is that! Look carefully, you will see the smallest hearts ever crafted on jewellery at Kiss the Frog Studio .

Diamond heart at Aawsomblei , need I say more, except...


HAPPY VALENTINE'S !

6 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Dear Anyes,

Happy Valentine's Day and a belated Happy Birthday!

As a collector of Victorian ephemera, I've found and collected my share of sappy Valentines. But did you know that there was a whole category of Victorian Valentine devoted to rejecting people? They are almost always funny, but I can't help thinking that they wounded nonetheless!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Mark,
Thank you for your good wishes.
Yes, you have an amazing collection, the victorians were unbelievably romantic and sentimental. I knew of their dark side, but did not know it extended to their their Valentines as well. You have to do a post just on these rejected hearts, it would be darkly funny in the Edward Gorey style.
Anyes
xx

Rosemary said...

Dear Anyes - I came visiting via Mark above.
Your little hearts are all lovely, not at all kitch. I do admit to having a weakness for hearts and have quite a few hanging around the house, but like you I want them to have some sophistication about them.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Rosemary,
Thank you for dropping in. Always a pleasure to welcome a new visitor, especially one, like me, who has a weakness for hearts.
Anyes
xx

Donna said...

A Perfect Valentine's Day Post! Have a lovely day, Anyes.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thank you Donna, you are so sweet.
Anyes
xx