Thursday, September 29, 2011

Screams from the Dusty Victorian


Lovely garden spider making its home under the ledge of my recycling box. It appears to be snacking on a fly. Good girl.


Now that autumn is upon us and the nights are much cooler, blood curdling screams have been heard from the Dusty Victorian. The bugs are coming in for a little bit of warmth, I guess - and if they are not in, they are at the windows or the doors, wanting to come in. You see, my daughter has an almost phobic fear of bugs (I don't know where she got that from.....ahem). Her clear, glass shattering, soprano scream can be heard by the neighbours, I'm sure. But I wouldn't know anymore because she's rendered me deaf.

Beautiful moth, but I don't like it when it thinks my face is the moon. Wouldn't that pattern make for a beautiful sweater?

House centipede in our hallway.

I have to admit that the house centipede is pretty horrifying. I had never seen one before moving to Ontario. In the three years we've lived at the DV, I've only seen this creature twice and both times were in autumn. I'm told that they are more commonly seen in old homes because of damp, creepy basements (which is certainly what we have). After researching this insect, I find there is nothing much to worry about; it's quite the scaredy cat when it comes to humans.

It's so fast it's hard to catch - but I succeeded and outside it went. I only kill in self defense, but flies and mosquitos are fair game year round.

This guy came in soon after I had cracked a window open. I had never seen this bug before and was unsuccessful in trying to identify it. It has a nice pattern on its back that looks like an African warrior's shield. If anyone can identify it, please let me know.

This grasshopper was huge and if you look closely, it appears like it's looking at me while taking its picture. I think grasshoppers are pretty cool.

This Daddy Long Legs was on the verge of coming in. It had a circumference of about 5".

This variety of house spiders is the most commonly seen in our home, not just in autumn, but year round. They are unbelievably passive.

My daughter lived most of her life in Vancouver, in a condominium on the 7th floor where insects were a rare occurrence. Now that we live in Southern Ontario, in a small town surrounded by woods and farmland, rarely does a day go by without hearing a gasp, a scream or a "what the hell is that?!"

13 comments:

Ashley said...

Moths freak me out. They are unpredictable and they fly at your head and it's just gross. Every other kind of bug? Fine. Moths? Ahhhh.

I saw my first praying mantis this summer (and have now seen 3!). I didn't know they lived in Ontario.

Richard Cottrell said...

I hate spiders. I had two bites last summer, while I was sleeping. One on my hand and one on my stomach, took for ever to get well and looked awful and was painful. Be careful. Also they make webs every where, I have spent the last few days cleaning them off all the porches, what a pain. Richard from My old historic House.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Ashley,
All summer I kept an eye open for a praying mantis, but never saw one. I think they are so cool! Perhaps next summer I will be so lucky.
Thanks for dropping in.
Anyès
XX

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Richard,
How awful! You must have a yummy tummy :)
I have this strange relationship with spiders, I really like them, but at the same time, they scare me to death.
I keep my distance.
Anyès
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I'm so glad the first image is a spider! I initially read it as a mumified duckling, and I thought no wonder there were screams! Can you see the mumified duckling?

You have a greater variety of insects at the DV, but you can be glad you don't get Florida roaches, as I do. Down here, it's a fact of life, and not an indicator of one's bad housekeeping. I keep a very tidy house and sleep with a can of roach spray right next to my bed. A roach in the bed — now that's worthy of a good scream!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Mark,
Now that you mention it, I do see it!

My gosh, I did not know about the commonality of roaches in Florida. The price to pay for lovely weather.
Always a pleasure,
Anyès
XX

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I fear I said too much, but I hope your daughter sees my comment and takes heart. And I didn't even mention fire ants! Mark

The Dusty Victorian said...

Not at all, it's good to read about your private surroundings even if it's about disturbing things. Both my daughter and I would be horrified to wake up to roaches in our beds. Not only would there be the soprano scream, but the "Marg Simpson like scream".
Anyès
XX

Laura said...

I HATE bugs but the ones that freak me out the most are "Walking Sticks". They look like an ordinary twig yet, in fact, are far more sinister. (they really are harmless but, I thought I would make it scary since it is, after all, October)

((Hugs))
Laura

Donna Seger said...

Love this post! I must admit that I have increasing affection for spiders.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Donna,
Thank you for leaving a comment. Spiders are certainly an acquired taste. They are elegantly beautiful in a terrifying way.
Anyes
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

Lovely bugs! I love your humor about you daughter's screams :-).

The ones I detest most are the centipedes, which we get a lot because of the dank basement. They get squished whenever they run across the floor. We also have hundreds of the long-legged house spiders, who tend to stay in the basement. Any hairy spiders, if too large, are squished. We leave small spiders alone if they stay put in their webs, and the cat will take care of any moths or flies that get in! And ladybugs like to spend winters between the storm windows, and don't bother us, lol!

I did see those palmettos in Florida... they're huge and they fly—yuck!

-Pam

A. Kadowaki Busby said...

Hi Pam,
The only creatures in this world that do not leave anyone indifferent are insects. And we all have a favourite one or a few favourite ones to hate.
Yet I find them fascinating at the same time.
Anyes
XX